Crime Free Housing
What is it?
The Crime Free Rental Housing Program is a state-of-the-art, crime prevention program designed to reduce crime, drugs, and gangs on rental properties. This program was successfully developed at the Mesa Arizona Police Department in 1992. The International Crime Free Rental Housing Program as spread to approximately 2,000 cities in 48 U.S. States. The Crime Free Rental Housing Program is a unique, three phase certification program for rental properties of all sizes, including single family rental homes. The first phase is the completion of a seminar taught by police personnel. The second phase is an inspection of the property. Upon successful completion of the inspection, the third phase is a police social with the tenants and management. The police-sponsored program is designed to be easily implemented, and extremely effective at reducing criminal activity in rental properties.
What are the benefits?
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base
- Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for active management
- Lower maintenance and repair costs
- Increase property values
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords, and managers
- Reduced exposure to civil liability
What does this mean for me?
- Attend a 6-8 hour seminar provided by Schiller Park
- Obtain a rental license from Schiller Park for all rental properties owned
- Adopt a Crime Free Rental Housing Lease Addendum
- Pass yearly rental property inspections performed by Community Development
- Pay an annual rental license fee
Renters/Residents at Rental Properties
- Required to have any resident over 18 years of age sign a Crime Free Housing Lease Addendum
- Abide by Crime Free Rental Housing Ordinances
- Breach of Crime Free Rental House Ordinances/Lease Addendum by any resident will be considered a breach of lease and can be grounds for eviction
Essential Crime Free Housing ("CFH")Documents:
Crime Free Housing Ordinance (pdf)
Crime Free Housing Pamphlet (pdf)
Crime Free Housing Fee Schedule (pdf)
CFH Multi-Family Rental License Application (pdf)
CFH Single Family Home-Condo Rental License Application (pdf)
Crime Free Housing Lease Addendum (pdf)
Outside Agency Seminar Certification (pdf)
Seminar Powerpoint Summary (pdf)
Multi-Family Dwelling License Program Forms:
Confidential Emergency Contact Numbers Form (pdf)
Application for Multi-Family Dwelling License (pdf)
Articles and Informational Resources:
The following are informational resources only and are not endorsed by the Village of Schiller Park. These resources should not be used in place of legal advice from an attorney.