Senior & Disabled Services
Senior/Disable Snow Removal Program - For Additional information please contact the Village Hall at (847) 671-2550
The Village offers a senior citizen snow removal program to assist in the snow removal on private property of eligible senior citizens (65 years of age or older) and disabled citizens. The program is designed to remove snow from driveways and sidewalks/stairs leading into the home. This is a cost sharing program to assist seniors with the cost of this service. The interested participants must apply annually and meet eligibility requirements. Residents who participated in the program in 2022-2023 will be eligible to re-apply. Applications are due by December 1st as the contractors require a list of participants before the winter season begins. The completed application can be returned to Village Hall 9526 W. Irving Park Rd, Schiller Park, IL 60176
Senior/Disable Snow Removal Program Qualifications
- MUST reside at the address in Schiller Park for which they are requesting service.
- Every member of the household must be at least 65 years of age OR disabled. Residents who met eligibility requirement during the 2022-2023 program year who were not 65 would remain eligible provided they re-apply. As part of the application process an SSA declaration or valid doctor’s note must be included stating why they are unable to remove snow. These forms must be included with the application each year. Residents who do not include valid information that includes each member of their household will be removed from the program and deemed ineligible for future participation and subject to a $100 fine.
- MUST complete the senior citizen snow removal program application on an annual basis. Applications received after the first snow event will be prorated when the direct payment option is processed.
- This program is restricted to single family homes only. Owners of buildings with multiple units who receive payment for rent are ineligible for this program.
OPTION #1 - Village Contractor Details: This program is an annual program that cannot be cancelled during the service period (winter). The Village has secured the services of an independent contractor(s) to assist in the removal of snow. However, the contractor(s) only has a limited capacity to service residents. The contractor(s) will remove snow that has accumulated a minimum of 2” at O’Hare Airport, Chicago based on local NOAA calculation (www.noaa.gov/weather)
The Village will use an automated call system to inform participants serviced by the independent contractor(s) under the following conditions.
• When a snowfall has met the 2” minimum requirement and the independent contractor(s) has been sent out.
• In the case of a prolonged or excessive snow event that will result in a higher cost and potentially additional removal efforts.
• When a snowfall is under 2” and will not be cleared.
OPTION #2 - Direct Payment Details: In order to accommodate more participants, the Village offers a one-time direct payment from the Village to the resident for them to secure their own private contractor(s) to provide the snow removal services to the resident on an individual basis. The Village cannot recommend any potential private contractors that provide snow removal services, and the resident is solely responsible in securing the services for snow removal. The Village would recommend that the resident secure these services as early as possible in the winter season to secure the best pricing and make sure there is a written contract for service with an agreed to price.
If more eligible residents apply for the “Village Contractor Option” than the capacity of available contractor(s), those overflow residents will be placed into the program and will be offered the “Direct Payment Option”.
Village of Schiller Park Senior Grass Cutting Program -2023
The Village offers a senior citizen grass cutting program to assist in grass cutting on private property of eligible senior citizens (62 years of age or older) and disabled citizens. This is cost sharing program to assist seniors with the cost of this service. Interested participants must apply annually and meet eligibility requirements. Applications are available at the Village Hall. To request an application please call the Village Hall Offices at (847) 678-2550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• MUST reside in Schiller Park.
• Every member of the household must be at least 62 years of age OR disabled. As part of the application process an SSA declaration or valid doctor’s note must be included stating why they are unable to cut grass. These forms must be included with the application each year. Residents who do not include valid information that includes each member of their household will be removed from the program. Falsifying such records will deem the household ineligible for future participation and subject to a $100 fine.
• MUST complete the program application on an annual basis.
• Buildings with multiple units whose owners receive payment for rent are ineligible for this program.
GUIDELINES OF PROGRAM:
The grass cutting services are done by an independent contractor that is hired by the Village. The following services will be provided to each applicant upon completion of the application and approval by the Village.
• Cutting of Grass (This will include a standard lawn mowing of property)
Lawns will be cut to a height of 3” and edged once per week, every week beginning no earlier than the week of May 1, 2023, and will continue until the week of November 6th, weather pending. If the contractor determines that the conditions are too wet to allow proper mowing, then you can expect your property to be serviced later that day if the rain subsides or on the days following.
• Excess grass clippings will be removed from sidewalks.
COST OF PROGRAM:
Regular Lot: $13.50 per cut/week (the Village pays the contractor $27 per cut/week)
Large, Corner or Double Lot: $21 per cut/week (the Village pays the contractor $42 per cut/week)
*The size of the property lot will be determined by the contractor*
The deadline for submitting a completed application is May 15th each year.
Leyden Family Services - Government Benefits Assistance Sessions
The Village offers the opportunity each month for seniors and disabled residents to purchase each up to four books of taxi coupons (for $5.00 each) that each contain $10.00 worth of coupons that can be used with participating taxicab companies. Therefore each senior or disabled resident can buy $40.00 worth of coupons (that's 4 books worth) for a total of $20.00 each month. These books can be purchased at the Village Hall front counter during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and 9:00 AM to 12 Noon on Saturday). The list of participating cab companies is listed below:
- Blue Cab (708) 583-6900
- Horizon Taxicab Dispatch (847) 692-2500
- O'Hare Taxi Service (847) 233-0000
- Rosemont Elite (847) 699-1100
- Schiller Park Taxi (847) 870-7777
Please contact the Village at (847) 678-2550 if you have any questions about this program.
Leyden Township Senior Services
The Village of Schiller Park is a part of Leyden Township and therefore senior and disabled residents of the Village are eligible to participate in programs and services offered by the Township. Details about available offerings from Leyden Township can be found below or by clicking on the link below to visit their website.
Dial-A-Ride Bus Service
Leyden Township offers a low cost Curb to Curb Dial-A-Ride service where seniors, children, and disabled residents are eligible for rides at a discounted per trip rate of only a $1.25 per trip ($2.50 per round trip). The service is also available to the general public at the normal full fare rate of $2.50 per trip ($5.00 per round trip). The program has a limited service area (See Details Below) and is only available 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday - Friday. The service is not available on:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Rides can be scheduled up to 7 days in advance for medical trips and 1 day in advance for all other types of trips. Please contact PACE at (888) 699-6999 for further details or to get the number for scheduling trips.
- Franklin Park
- Elmwood Park
- Schiller Park
- River Grove
- Melrose Park (portion)
- Northlake (portion)
- Rosemont (portion)
- Unincorporated Leyden
Special locations (such as hospitals, medical offices, and shopping) are also available outside of this delivery area.
Leyden Township Taxicab Coupons
Leyden Township also offers a senior and disabled taxicab coupon program. Details about this program are available by contacting Leyden Township at (847) 455-8616 or by visiting their website by clicking on the link on this page.
Phone Number is: (847) 678-8777