Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training (BASSET) is the State of Illinois' responsible beverage seller/server program. Under the licensing and regulatory auspices of the Illinois Liquor Control Commission, BASSET is designed to encourage profitable, responsible, and legal alcohol sales and service.
State law made Cook County the first mandatory county in Illinois for BASSET Certification. As of July 1st, 2015, all servers of alcohol and bouncers who check ID must now have their BASSET certification in order to work in Cook County. All new hires after July 1st. must have this certification within 120 days of being hired. The entire state of Illinois will have mandatory certification by July 1st, 2018.
The goals and objectives of the BASSET Program:
- Train and educate sellers and servers to engage in responsible alcohol service;
- Spot signs of intoxication and utilize various intervention techniques;
- Prevent DUIs and alcohol-related fatalities;
- Stop underage sales and underage drinking;
- Create safer communities and establishments where alcohol is served;
- Educate owners, managers and staff on dram shop insurance, state laws, and local ordinances regarding alcohol service.
For more information about the program visit the Illinois Liquor and Control Commission