Can I run a business out of my house?

Pursuant to Section 155.305 of the Village Code, home-based businesses are permitted in the Village if they adhere to all of the following requirements:

- Is operated in its entirety within the residence and only by the person or persons maintaining a dwelling therein

- Does not have a separate entrance from outside the building

- Does not display or create outside the building any external evidence of the operation of a home occupation

- Does not utilize more than 20% of the gross floor area of the dwelling unit, not to exceed 300 square feet in area

- Does not have any employees or regular assistants in the dwelling unit

- Does not utilize mechanical or electrical equipment other than the type normally found in the single-dwelling unit

- Does not involve the sale of commodities upon the premises

Show All Answers

1. Can I run a business out of my house?
2. How do I determine zoning on a property?
3. How do I find out if my property is in a flood plain or flood zone?
4. I received a letter about a public hearing at Village Hall. Why did I receive it?
5. How do I obtain a plat of survey of my property?
6. I wish to open a business. Do I need a business license?
7. What is a Comprehensive Plan?
8. What is the Zoning, Planning, and Appeals (ZPA) Commission?
9. What land uses and types of buildings are allowed on a specific property?