Animal Traps

The Village will provide a trap, at no charge, to residents and businesses for a period of one week. To request a trap, contact the Building and Safety Division. If the resident does not trap the animal within the given time frame, he or she may call the Building and Safety Division and request for an extension.

It is the resident’s responsibility to bait, set, and maintain the trap. The following table is a list of bait for each animal type.

Types of Animal Bait

Type of Animal
Cat Tuna Fish
Possum Lettuce, Tomatoes, Apples
Raccoon Tuna Fish
Skunk Tuna Fish
Squirrel Nuts or Peanut Butter

Animal Pick-Up


If an animal has been successfully trapped, the resident must call the Leyden Township Animal Control at 847-455-8616 for pick-up. If your call is answered by a telephone recorder, please leave a message that includes your name, address, and what type of animal was caught in the trap. Leyden Township Animal Control is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Please note that skunk traps are designed with a cover. However, if you happen to catch a skunk in a trap not originally designated for it, then the resident is responsible for covering the trap with an old sheet, blanket, or any other appropriate covering. Leyden Animal Control will not approach a skunk trap without a cover. Additionally, the covering will not be returned.

If the trap is returned to the office, residents are responsible for removing bait and cleaning the traps. For more information, please contact the Building and Safety Division of the Community Development Department.

What To Do With Injured or Sick Wild Animals?

The best advice is often to leave the animal alone and let nature take its course. This sounds harsh but in the wild these injured or sick animals often end up as prey for other animals that need food. Furthermore it is not legal to try to take care of the animal yourself as you need a license to care for wild animals. In the event you are still interested in helping the animal you can click on the link below to view a website that has information on rehabilitation resources that are available in this area. Please keep in mind that Leyden Animal Control will not assist in dealing with wild animals unless they are trapped in an approved cage under the Village trapping program.

University of Illinois - Living with Wildlife